Making Cannabis Butter: A Beginner's Guide
If you're looking to cook with THC, one of the first things you'll want to learn is how to make Cannabis butter. These instructions will help you to do that easily!
This recipe roughly equals 30 mg of THC per tablespoon of oil or butter. In order to get the dose that suits you; try 1/4 of a tablespoon of cannabis butter, then wait one hour to take note of how you feel. From there, you can determine if you would like to add more, or less.
Step one: Begin Decarboxylation
By baking your cannabis, you will begin the decarboxylation process, which allows THC, CBD, and other cannabinoids to activate. Lipids from your base (butter or oil) will also bind to your cannabis during this process.
Ingredients & Tools:
🥦 ½ ounce of cannabis (whatever strain you prefer)
🥦 Oven safe baking sheet, or glass dish
🥦 Scissors, or a grinder (for shredding your buds)
🥦 (And of course) An oven!
1. Preheat oven to 220° F
2. Using your grinder or scissors, begin breaking up your cannabis. Your cannabis should be ground fine, but be careful not to grind it too fine; it could end up in your butter later, and we don't want that! A few spins in the grinder works best.
3. Spread your busted cannabis evenly on your baking sheet or glass dish, and place on the center rack of your oven. To properly bake your cannabis, follow these time guides; low grade: 20 minutes; high grade: 40 minutes; recently harvasted (or wet): 1 hour)
4. The colour of your cannabis will change to a darker green once it's been in the oven for a bit, and that's how you will know it has decarboxylated! Make sure to check on your cannabis every 10 minutes and gently mix the cannabis on your baking sheet so it doesn't burn.
Step Two: Infusion
Ingredients & Tools:
🥦 1½ cup water
🥦 8 ounces of butter or oil
🥦 ½ ounce of your newly decarboxylated cannabis
🥦 medium sized saucepan
🥦 wood or silicone spoon
🥦 cheesecloth (or a metal strainer)
1. Turn your stovetop to a very low heat setting; add water and butter
2. Once the butter has melted, add decarbed cannabis (mix well, then cover)
3. Let your mixture sit and simmer for 4 hours. Check on your pot every 30 minutes and stir (to avoid burning). You can check on the temperature to ensure the mixture does not surpass 180°
4. Once the simmer time has been reached, use your metal strainer or cheese cloth to separate your butter from the cannabis. Let cool to room temp, and keep in a fridge or freezer.
Using your new weed butter
You can swap your cannabis oil or butter with any recipe that calls for oil or butter! You name it.. cakes; brownies; cookies; salad; banana bread; even mashed potatoes!